Patrick James Codd
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery
Dr. Patrick Codd was born and raised in Fort Collins, Colorado. He is a graduate of the California Institute of Technology, where he earned a Bachelor of Science with Honors in Biology, with a focus in Biochemistry and Computation & Neural Systems. Patrick earned his M.D. in the Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts Institute of Technology Health Science & Technology Program. He then completed his Internship in General Surgery and his residency in Neurosurgery at the Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School. ;Patrick then served as the Director of the North Neurosurgical Service at Massachusetts General Hospital and an Instructor in Surgery at Harvard Medical School before joining the neurosurgery staff at Duke University Medical Center.
Patrick currently serves an Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery at Duke University Medical School with a clinical focus in endoscopic and minimally-invasive cranial surgery. As Director of the Brain Tool Laboratory within the Duke Robotics Program, his major research interests include neurosurgical robotics and minimally invasive neurosurgical device development.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Neurosurgery
- Associate Professor in the Thomas Lord Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Associate Professor in Head & Neck Surgery & Communication Sciences
- Core Faculty in Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Office Location: 303 Research Drive, Box 3050, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-2610
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Massachusetts General Hospital, 2014
- Massachusetts General Hospital, 2009
- M.D. Harvard Medical School, 2008
- BME 899: Special Readings in Biomedical Engineering
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
- ME 391: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 392: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 491: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 591: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- ME 592: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
In the News
- Duke MEDx: A Better Way to Clean Public Spaces, Reduce Disease Transmission (Jul 8, 2021 | Duke MEDx)
- Inventing New Ways of Doing Brain Surgery (Jan 13, 2020 | Duke Research Blog)
- As a Buddhist Priest, Neurosurgeon Finds Deep Connection with Patients (Jul 17, 2018 | Duke Health Blog)
- Brain Surgery May Get A Bit Easier, With Augmented Reality (Oct 5, 2016)
- New Clinic Offers Multidisciplinary Approach to Pituitary Tumors (Mar 15, 2016 | Clinical Practice Today)
- Helmkamp, JK; Le, E; Hill, I; Hein, R; Mithani, S; Codd, P; Richard, M, Addressing Surgical Instrument Oversupply: A Focused Literature Review and Case-Study in Orthopedic Hand Surgery., Hand (N Y), vol 17 no. 6 (2022), pp. 1250-1256 [10.1177/15589447211017233] [abs].
- Hill, I; Olivere, L; Helmkamp, J; Le, E; Hill, W; Wahlstedt, J; Khoury, P; Gloria, J; Richard, MJ; Rosenberger, LH; Codd, PJ, Measuring intraoperative surgical instrument use with radio-frequency identification., Jamia Open, vol 5 no. 1 (2022) [10.1093/jamiaopen/ooac003] [abs].
- Lazutkin, A; Hachem, RA; Codd, PJ; Zomorodi, AR; Jang, DW, Use of Tympanostomy T-Tube for Endoscopic Endonasal Marsupialization of Small Rathke's Cleft Cysts: A Case Series, Journal of Neurological Surgery, Part B: Skull Base (2022) [10.1055/s-0042-1755572] [abs].
- Tucker, M; Lacayo, M; Joseph, S; Ross, W; Chongsathidkiet, P; Fecci, P; Codd, PJ, Creation of Non-Contact Device for Use in Metastatic Melanoma Margin Identification in ex vivo Mouse Brain., Smart Structures and Materials 2005: Active Materials: Behavior and Mechanics, vol 11945 (2022) [10.1117/12.2608975] [abs].
- Olivere, LA; Hill, IT; Thomas, SM; Codd, PJ; Rosenberger, LH, Radiofrequency Identification Track for Tray Optimization: An Instrument Utilization Pilot Study in Surgical Oncology., J Surg Res, vol 264 (2021), pp. 490-498 [10.1016/j.jss.2021.02.049] [abs].